Turmeric is an amazing ingredient to cook and experiment with. It adds to the deliciousness of the food. But when turmeric accidentally falls on our clothes, it becomes quite a tedious task to remove them.
If you are wondering how to remove turmeric stains, then you have come to the right place. Well, the faster you deal with the turmeric stain, the better it will be. Everybody might suggest you use soap. But it is not of much help. On the other hand, liquid detergent might prove to be a good option to pre-treat stains. But it is always advised to check before using any detergent. Check the fabric, the amount of detergent to be used, how much time it has to be soaked, etc.
Now, let us look at how to remove turmeric stains from clothes.
- Pre-Treating Powdered Stains
In order to pre-treat a haldi stain, you must use laundry detergent. Turmeric; be it in a powdered form or an oil form can leave stubborn stains on your clothes. Turmeric contains Curcumin which is not water-soluble. That is why haldi stains remain for so long until they are finally removed. Using a laundry detergent will help with this. If turmeric is stained in a powdered form, then you can brush away the powder and then soak it in the detergent. Finally, wash it with water and repeat once again if needed.
- Pre-Treating Oil-Based Stains
If you have a stain of curry or gravy on your clothes, then you must not rub it. Simply use cornstarch to get rid of it. Just blot and do not rub the stain. Try to wipe off the stain and prevent the stain from settling into the fabric. Apply cornstarch and leave it for 20 minutes. Finally, you can wash it with a liquid detergent.
You can also use Lime Juice. If you are outside, then pretreating is absolutely not possible. In such a situation, you can use Lime Juice. It is a bleaching agent that can help you get rid of the stain. All you need to do is apply the juice on the stain and let it sit for 15 minutes. Then you can wipe it off with a damp cloth.
So, these are the basic ways of treating turmeric stains. Since turmeric stains are stubborn, you need to repeat them twice or more. Just make sure the fabric is not destroyed in the process. Let us have a deeper look into how to remove turmeric stains from white clothes.
How to remove turmeric stains from white clothes?
The main point to note here is to be gentle with white clothes. Before using any product, you must check the compatibility of the product with the fabric. Follow the instructions given below to treat haldi stains on white clothes.
- Bleach-Based Detergent
- Bucket of Cold Water
- Dishwashing Liquid
- White Vinegar
- Mild Laundry Detergent
1. Using Bleach
- Step 1: Read the care label on your clothes. It is important to ensure that your clothes are bleach-resistant. So, double-check the label before washing.
- Step 2: If the stain is dry, you can brush it off and then damp it in water. Then you must put 4-5 drops of liquid detergent and rub it in a circular motion. In case of oil stains, sprinkle baking soda over the area. Then apply a half cup of white vinegar with one tablespoon of dishwashing liquid. Rub it in a circular motion and then wash it with plain water.
- Step 3: Take a bucket filled with cold water and add a cup of bleach. Do not use colored clothes. Bleach is only used for white clothes. Soak the garment in the bucket and leave it for 20 minutes.
- Step 4: Rinse the cloth. If you are still seeing the stain, then soak it overnight. Wash the garment the next day and air dry it.
2. Using White Vinegar
Follow the instructions below to remove stains from delicate fabric.
- Step 1: Mix two tablespoons of white vinegar with one tablespoon of dishwashing liquid in a bowl.
- Step 2: Soak the clothes for 30 minutes. Rinse with cold water.
- Step 3: Air Dry the clothes thoroughly before storing them.
These two methods are potent enough and will help you in removing stains from white clothes. There are different methods for colored clothes. So, let us have a look at them.
How to remove stains from colored clothes?
- Dishwashing Liquid
- Paper Towel
- Laundry Detergent
- For Normal Stains
- Step 1: The best method to get rid of the stain is to use a liquid detergent because it leaves no residue and is completely dissolved in water. Scrub it with your fingertips and leave it for a good 30-40 minutes.
- Step 2: Rinse the garment with cold water.
- Step 3: You can also soak a paper towel with vinegar and dab on the stain. Keep it until the stain disappears.
- Step 4: Wash the garment and repeat the method if the stain remains.
2 For Stubborn Stain
- Mix 2 tablespoons of vinegar with one tablespoon of dishwashing liquid. Soak the stain in the solution for half an hour. Rinse with cold water afterward.
- Another method is that you can hold the stain under running water and scrub the stain with a toothbrush. This will effectively remove the stain.
So, this is how you can remove haldi stains from colored clothes. It is important to note that you must not use hot water to treat turmeric stains as it will set the stain more firmly in the garment. Use the methods mentioned above and get rid of stubborn turmeric stains at home.
- How do you get rid of old turmeric stains?
You can use bleach, vinegar, baking soda, etc., to get rid of turmeric stains. There are different methods to treat white and colored clothes. Follow the instructions mentioned above for the same.
2. Why is the stain not getting removed with soap?
This is happening because turmeric contains curcumin which is a compound and soap contains sodium hydroxide which is a base. Acid and base when reacted together lead to neutralization. That is why the stain is still there in your garment.
3 Can baking soda remove haldi stains?
Yes. Mixing baking soda with water can help you in removing turmeric stains from clothes. Just apply the paste to the affected area and leave it for 30 minutes. Wash the garment with cold water and air dry it.
4 Are turmeric stains permanent?
Turmeric stains can be persistent but can be removed by pre-treating. It is important to soak the garment quickly if a curry stain is there.
4. Can toothpaste remove turmeric stains?
Yes, toothpaste can remove haldi stains. Just dab a drop of toothpaste on the stain and allow it to sit for a couple of hours. Wash the garment afterward with cold water.